Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Routine Challenge...

3:50 am...alarm goes off...I hit SNOOZE! Like 5 more minutes makes a difference, but I will take it.  Gym clothes on, freshen up, grab my water bottle, my ipod and head outside to meet Jacy.  Routine weekday!
As much as I have fought the word "routine" over the years, I will have to admit that after 34 years I am starting to get the Warm Fuzzies for it.
I'm not a planner.  I don't want to know what is going to happen at every turn, I don't need a play by play...I actually get annoyed at too much detail, BUT... my alarm clock going off at the crack of dawn, my trip to the gym at 4:15, my workout that begins at 4:30...ahhhh, I love love love it! Home, shower, get ready for the day!! It seems weird to me that it took this routine to get me into so many other routines!
After 14+ years of marriage and 4 kids I have FINALLY made and enforced a "Chore Chart"...now THEY have a routine! And it works!!  My house has been cleaner, my mood has been calmer, and there has been far less drama! Who knew!
My work focus has been better! Not that there is much control over real estate and the endless adventures that it brings, but I have created a "routine" there also...I scheduled my days off for the ENTIRE YEAR , I made a routine of being off by noon every other Thursday, and of planning ME time! Before exercise taught me routine, the only consistant thing I did every day was drink out of the same coffee cup! (And heaven help you if you tried to steal it from me!)
I wonder why it has taken me so long to realize the peace that a routine can bring? Why I was so resistant to it for so long? How I raised 4 kids with no nap schedule or strict bedtime until they were school aged?  Live and Learn I suppose...I'm learning!!
So what next? What else can I schedule? What more can I control? CONTROL??? OMG...I just related the word ROUTINE and CONTROL...And with me being a CONTROL FREAK this makes perfect sense! This could be bad! Hehe!
Look out world...I've got high expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment